What is In-Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application?

In-Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application is necessary if your partner is a foreigner living in Canada and wants to be sponsored to be a permanent resident in Canada.

For making an in-Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application, you should –

  1. Be a permanent resident of Canada, or a Canadian citizen
  2. Be at least 18 years old

You can sponsor –

  1. A spouse
  2. A common-law partner (conjugal partner) living with you in Canada

You can sponsor your spouse or partner provided your foreign-based partner maintains legal status in Canada. It is imperative that your spouse or partner stays in Canada on a work permit, study permit or a visitor visa. Then you can submit an in-land Spousal Sponsorship Application. If this request is approved, your partner will get his/her permanent residency status and can later apply for Canadian Citizenship. It is necessary in these cases to prove that your relationship is a genuine one. In-land Spousal Sponsorship Applications can sometimes get very complicated as their processing works differently than an overseas sponsorship application. A refusal on an in-land Spousal Sponsorship Application does not guarantee any provision for appeal, and can thus prove to be detrimental.

It is advisable to consult an experienced immigration lawyer when making an in-land Spousal Sponsorship Application as it works in unique way and can get very complicated. There can be many reverse outcomes that you are not prepared to face and are not fully equipped to handle.