immigration lawyers in Chandigarh

Requirement for recruitment or applying for Live-in Caregiver

Live-in caregivers are hired by private homes/families to care for the children, elderly or people with disabilities and also stay with these families during the period of their work contract. A non-Canadian wanting to apply as a live-in caregiver is required to obtain a work permit by making a submission to the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP).  The applicant must fulfil the eligibility criteria for the job. Additionally, Canadian immigration law also mandates it for the employer to meet the standard eligibility criteria. Here are some more guidelines and requirements to work in Canada.

The standard Eligibility criteria to recruit a live-in caregiver in Canada includes:

  • The employer needs to acquire a positive LMIA.
  • The employer must be staying in Canada to hire a foreign national.
  • The employer must pay the non-Canadian national equivalent to the industry standards.
  • The employer must ensure a non-discriminatory behavior and work culture for the foreign national.
  • The employer must have a written contract with the employee specifying his/her designation (if any), salary. Address where the applicant will work and the conditions of recruitment (if any).
  • The employer must establish that substantial efforts were made to hire a Canadian national.

The non-Canadian or foreign national also needs to meet certain requirements. The prospective employee must have completed at last their secondary education, must have language proficiency, and at least 6 months of work experience in caregiving. You should consult your Immigration attorney in Canada for details about legal hurdles and the application process.

Other than this, you must be proven admissible in Canada which means there should not be any criminal or medical inadmissibility finding against you. Your work permit as a live-in caregiver is temporary like all work permits and once the specified time period is over, you will be required to go back. It depends on you and your employer if you want to get your work permit extended or renewed.

After completing 2 years of services in Canada with the same employer, you will be eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada. Learn more about the Canadian Federal Skilled worker program, Canadian Experience Class & Provincial Nomination programs here.

Enforcement and Deportation

Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) has the authority of detaining…

Removal Appeals

Permanent residents of Canada, Canadian citizens or those living…

Spousal Sponsorship Rejection

When you Spousal Sponsorship Application is refused, you are…

Applications made to the Federal Court

The Federal Court of Canada is the national court authorized…

Refusal on Permanent Resident Application

Application for permanent resident status is one of the most…

Refusals – Work Permit Refusal, Study Permit or Visitor Visa

There are 2 ways to overcome refusals on work permit and study…