How to Return to Canada of your Permanent resident Card is Expired

If your renewal for Permanent Resident Card application is under processing and your card expires while you are away from the country, you will have to apply for a Travel Document from outside of Canada in order to enter Canada as a Resident. A Travel Document will authorise you as a Resident of Canada. There is one important condition on the card – you should have stayed at least for 1 day in last one year in Canada in order to qualify for applying for the Document.

In case, your application for Travel Document is refused, you can make a Residency Obligation Appeal at the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD).