Family Class Sponsorship – a special category

Anyone who has immigrated to Canada dreams of getting re-united with the members of his/her family on the Canadian soil. Making this a vision, Canadian immigration law are committed to family unions and have created many such provisions so that individuals do not have to suffer because of estrangement from their loved ones. There are diverse arrangements under which different class of family members living abroad may be sponsored by a Canadian immigrant.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents can, therefore, sponsor their spouse (common-law partner/conjugal partner/same-sex partner), parents, grandparents, siblings to immigrate to Canada.

Section 117 (1) H of the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada permits a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian Citizen to sponsor another family member if the said individual does not have any other family member including a spouse or a common-law partner who are permanent residents or citizens of Canada. Therefore, the individual must not have any of the family members as mentioned below living as permanent residents of Canada –

  • Spouse/common-law partner/conjugal partner
  • Child
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Aunt or uncle
  • Niece or nephew
  • Grandparents

This is a special category to unite families and might have unique requirements. Make sure that you fulfil all the requirements to qualify to make such an application.